The training is in line with the government’s rice program of attaining rice sufficiency within the first two years of Duterte Administration. SRI practitioners worldwide have observed its following benefits: 1) Higher yields – of both grain and straw; 2) Reduced duration of crop cycle by 10-15 days; 3) Less chemical inputs; 4) Less water requirement; 5) Less chaffy grain; 6) Grain weight increased without change in grain size; 7) Higher head rice recovery rate; 8) Withstands cyclonic gales; and 9) Soil health improves through biological activity. The benefits of SRI have been seen already in 40 countries, with increased production of both improved and local rice varieties.
The training was done through series of lectures which were facilitated by Prof. Mansueto Cuaton from the Mindanao State University College of Agriculture, one of the training resource persons. He said that farmers have an opportunity to produce organically grown rice products and traditional rice varieties through SRI.
Palimbang Officer-In-Charge (OIC) Municipal Agriculture Officer Samrod Kathiang, gave a short message during the training. He challenged rice farmer participants by learning new technologies to increase rice production.
As part of the training the rice farmers had a practicum on transplanting seedlings at Pasali's demo farm and a practicum on producing organic fertilizers.
The training was highlighted with Pasali's experience in SRI. Pasali experts shared to the participants the SRI practices and eventually on the 3rd day they demonstrated in practicum the actual seeds selection, marking and transplanting at Pasali's demo farm.
Pasali Philippines Foundation, Inc., an accredited Extension Service Provider (ESP) of the Department of Agriculture-Agricultural Training Institute (DA-ATI) – Region 12, has already conducted series of trainings that were held within Region 12 since April 2016 in partnership with the DA-ATI-12.
The following trainings were conducted:
- Rubber Tapping and Sheets Processing for Farmers of Banisilan, North Cotabato; (April 27-29, 2016)
- Fruit (Mango) Processing for Agricultural Extension Workers and Farmer Leaders in Malungon, Sarangani Province; (May 24-26, 2016)
- Coffee Production Technology for Coffee Farmers of Brgy. Napnapon, Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat held at Nestle Experimental and Demonstration Farm in Magdum, Tagum City; (June 21-23, 2016)
- Herbal Production, Processing and Utilization for Differently-Abled Persons in Sarangani Province; (July 18-20, 2016)
- Rubber Production Management for Rubber Farmers in Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat.
- System of Rice Intensification (SRI) Methodologies for Rice Farmers of Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat (August 30-September 1, 2016)
To date, a total of 180 participants, composed of 119 male and 61 female, have benefited the services provided by Pasali through partnership with DA- ATI Region 12.
Extension Service Provider (ESP)
Pasali Philippines is one of the organizations accredited by the Department of Agriculture- Agricultural Training Institute (DA-ATI) region XII as Extension Service Provider.